Risk analysis and preparedness
Communities, businesses, and government agencies face potential loss of life, property damage, and social disruption due to natural and human-caused disasters. While we can’t always control the forces of nature and other threats, we can prepare ourselves to deal with the challenges they present.
For more than a decade, Atkins has assisted local governments to prepare risk and vulnerability assessments in compliance with the Disaster Mitigation Act of 2000. Our experienced team of certified floodplain managers and engineers has crafted
guidelines that detail the relevant codes and standards communities should observe.
Our risk analysis and preparedness services include the following:
- Benefit/cost analysis and training
- Emergency management training and exercises
- Grant preparation and management
- Hazard identification, analysis, and
- Risk engineering
- Vulnerability assessments
The development and implementation of emergency management plans enables community response operations to begin quickly after an event. Recovery efforts are more integrated, and essential activities are conducted more efficiently. Essentially, comprehensive plans provide a “playbook” to help local, state, and federal agencies navigate the stressful and emotional period that follows a catastrophic event.
Atkins’ certified associate business continuity professionals (ABCP) will help communities and organizations plan for resumption of services after an event. Similar in nature to a COOP, this individualized plan provides solid approaches to communication, technology, and information following a disaster.
Our planning services include the following:
- Business continuity and disaster recovery planning
- Comprehensive emergency management plan development and review
- Continuity of operations/continuity of government plan development and review
- Evacuation planning and operations support
- Modeling and simulation for emergency management and decision making
- Public outreach and communication planning
- Urban Area Security Initiative planning
From hurricanes, tornados, and floods to winter storms, wildfires, and earthquakes, Atkins personnel have responded to every type of major disaster. We offer the proven ability to draw from our extensive nationwide partnerships and resources to respond quickly when emergency needs arise.
Our logistics support center maintains an inventory of field and safety supplies to quickly deploy up to 500 trained staff. We are experienced in the hauling, installation, maintenance, and deactivation of manufactured/mobile housing units, as well as the construction of temporary housing communities and the transition of temporary housing into permanent housing. Atkins also provides comprehensive program management and debris monitoring services to state and local clients following disaster events.
Our response services include the following:
- Building performance, critical facility evaluations, and mitigation assessment
- Community-wide damage assessment
- Emergency response policies and procedures
- Integrated debris planning and management
- Mass care and shelter management
- National Incident Management System (NIMS) and Incident Command System (ICS) training and support
Atkins offers a comprehensive array of post-disaster recovery services, extensive working knowledge of community needs, and sincere commitment to rapidly and efficiently assist with disaster recovery efforts. Our staff has served in leadership and technical support roles while previously employed with FEMA and other emergency management agencies. Our significant emergency management experience speaks for itself and enables us to recognize client needs and provide comprehensive post-disaster response and recovery services.
We provide the following recovery services:
- Alternative housing solutions
- Business continuity implementation and recovery strategies
- FEMA appeals and insurance recovery support
- FEMA Hazard Mitigation Grant program management
- FEMA Public Assistance program management
- Recovery, redevelopment, and reconstruction planning
In recent years, the impacts of devastating natural disasters and terrorist attacks have necessitated the development of tools to support decision making during emergency response, planning, and recovery. Atkins works hand-in-hand with local, state, and federal government agencies to develop technology solutions that enhance coordination, communications, information accessibility, and resource management during an emergency situation.
At Atkins, we plan, design, and enable innovative technologies and solutions that enable our clients to save lives, time, and money in emergency situations.